A world-class company, headquatered in Hong Kong, is looking for their Associate General Counsel to handle their employment related matters.
Excellent opporunity for foreign lawyers to consider, Chinese capability is NOT compulsory.
Key Responsibilities and tasks
- To provide sound and pragmatic legal advice that best meets the needs of the Group based on an understanding of the Business and their commercial and business objectives.
- To pro-actively manage and handle all employment and litigation matters for the Group, including:
Providing legal advice on non-contentious and contentious employment matters.
Providing legal and strategic advice on complex union-related issues.
Managing a wide range of disputes and claims including contractual, employment, customers, suppliers, employees’ compensation, personal injuries, intellectual property, data privacy and discrimination claims, including responsibility for formulating and implementing effective legal strategies with respect to such disputes and claims.
Managing and supervising external counsel to the extent engaged.
Handling investigations by local or overseas authorities such as the Labour Department, Customs, Equal Opportunities Commission.
Managing legal actions at all court levels from Tribunal to Court of Final Appeal.
Attending conciliation, mediation, settlement negotiations and court hearings.
Assisting the Group in formulating policies and initiatives.
Organizing and delivering legal training and briefings.
- To report and to work closely with Senior Management on important legal issues and risks to identify solutions and to express an opinion as to the best path forward to address legal issues and problems that best meets the needs of the Group.
- To be pro-active in identifying and dealing with legal risks across the Group and identify areas of continuous improvement.
- As a senior member of Group Legal, to actively encourage and support the development and growth of each member of the Legal Team to help them achieve their full potential.
Qualifications & Experience
- Common law qualified solicitor with 8+ years post qualification experience in employment law and litigation gained from reputable law firms. Previous in-house experience is also preferable.
- Good command of both spoken and written English. Chinese NOT essential.
- An effective communicator to interact with senior people with polished interpersonal skills
- Commercial minded and able to work and solve problems independently with minimum supervision.
- A good team player and able to work proactively and independently.