Take the major responsibility for power design for Server & Storage, Networking Switch and Telecom products.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work as a power lead for the power design on the projects from kick off to mass production
- Work with customer, system architect, and internal engineering team to define the whole system power delivery architecture
- If it is a customer project, need to face the power counterpart in customer side and drive the weekly technical discussion with customer to track the power design status, issues, etc.
- Work with Electrical Engineer to provide the power block diagram based on the power budget
- Select the suitable topologies according to the power block diagram, including CPU core power regulators, DC-DC POL, hot-swap control, Li-ion battery charger and discharger, Oring control circuit, Current sharing control circuit, EMI filtering circuit, Super-cap control circuit, etc.
- Work with the suppliers to select the suitable components including controller, converter, MOSFET, Inductor, Capacitor, Fuse, Transistor, Connectors, Cables considering performance, efficiency, dimension,
- Use the CAD Tools like ORCAD Capture or Mentor to work out the power schematic
- Do the power related calculations and simulations to ensure the stability and reliability of the power design
- Work out the power layout guideline and work with the Layout Engineers for the placement and layout review
- Bring up the board together with the Electrical Engineer and Firmware Engineer
- Work out the DC/DC test plan according to the generic power test plan and customer’s special requirements. (EVT: full test; DVT : regression test)
- Do the DC/DC verification based on the items in the test plan and work out the test report
- Work on the trouble shooting, issue analysis, and finding solutions for the defects
- Implement the design changes on the DVT schematic and board file
- Review the recommended second source from the Component Engineer and come out the corresponding second source test plan & report
- Support power related failure analysis on the RMA board
- Provide technical support to manufacturing team for the power related issues during development phase, and after mass production
- For certain project, need to work with the BBU vendor to manage a customized BBU development, including technical review, schedule control, and cost control, etc.
- Mentor the Senior or Junior power engineers for hard skills and soft skills
- Review the Senior or Junior power engineer’s deliverables
- Keep learning the latest technology and techniques to make sure the power design up-to-date, robust, better performance and cost effective
- Candidates should have at least 7 years DC/DC power design experience.
- Typically, the following essential qualifications and experiences would be requested: Bachelor or Master in Electronics, Power, Computing engineering or similar
- Strong design knowledge in switching power topologies, like Buck, Boost, etc.
- Good knowledge in power design on Intel platform with compliance of VR11, VR12, VR12.5, VR13 etc.
- Good knowledge in system redundancy, current sharing control, hot-swap control, Oring control and monitoring control
- Good knowledge in understanding the passive components, knows the key parameters in selecting components in a power design
- Capable of using ORCAD capture or Mentor for schematic
- Prefer in having server & storage x86 motherboard power design experience
- If no server & storage design experience, need to at least have x86 motherboard power design experience for laptop, desktop, or similar products
- Better in having the power design experience for AMD, Broadcom, IBM Power PC platforms
- Better in having the BBU (Battery backup unit) board design experience
- Better in having the experience of both analog power control and digital power control
- Better in having design experience in POE (power over Ethernet) for Networking Switch product
- Good English speaking and literacy
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated individual capable of working with a minimum of supervision in a dynamic team environment. Good communication skills and be capable to communicate in English with project team members, customers and suppliers.