Our client is a blue chip HKEX listed public utilities corporation and they are looking for a top quality candidate to fulfill their requirements of Legal Counsel within their international legal team, taking care of innovation, technology and investments:
This role sits within the International Legal Team.
The candidate will be responsible for:
▪ The provision of strategic legal advice and guidance to the Group functions and Business Units, including the Innovation Business Unit, to ensure the corporation’s interests are protected. This includes:
o providing guidance on commercial, operational and technology transactions (including M&A, partnerships and sourcing) across multiple business units to facilitate the implementation and delivery of corporation’s innovation programme of work;
o advising on, and enabling the management of, legal and regulatory issues and compliance as well as on related risk management requirements;
o negotiating strategic alliances and partnerships with a broad range of organisations from start-ups to incumbents, to facilitate the development of new services/applications, optimise existing business, execute pilots/trials and set up of successful business models;
o advising and assisting on the execution of strategic acquisitions/investments as well as the management of investments (e.g. venture capital funds, technology companies and joint venture arrangements); and
o advising on, drafting and negotiating technology, SaaS, and product contracts.
▪ Ensuring the organisation is in good standing and fulfils its obligations pursuant to relevant law.
▪ Ensuring the organisation is informed of new or proposed legislation/regulation that may impact the business.
▪ Initiating legal action as required and overseeing defence of the organisation in any significant action initiated against it.
▪ Managing external legal advisers and related legal budgets.
▪ Conducting in-house training, developing efficiency tools and corporate precedents.
▪ A law degree from a well-recognised law school and a valid practicing certificate in a relevant jurisdiction.
▪ At least 8 years’ high quality experience in corporate commercial law, including experience with a well-regarded law firm. Experience working on technology matters would be viewed favourably.
▪ Excellent technical legal knowledge and a strong understanding of legal and commercial aspects of contracts.
▪ Ability to interpret and apply the law in a complex regulatory environment.
▪ Excellent English communication and drafting skills. Mandarin communication and drafting skills would be viewed favourably.
▪ Self-motivated, well-organised, and good interpersonal skills.
▪ A sound commercial and practical approach and a comprehensive appreciation of business requirements.
▪ Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment without supervision with a high level of responsibility and initiative.
▪ Ability to effectively prioritise both workflow