Compliance Execution Director/Senior Counsel
We are seeking a Compliance Director/Senior Counsel to service as the lead for the implementation and localization of the corporation’s healthcare compliance program across affiliates in the Asia. This role will be based in Asia, and will report to the Global Head of Compliance, to assist in enhancing the corporation’s healthcare compliance program.
The Director/Senior Counsel will be responsible for leading the company’s efforts to cascade, localize, and operationalize our healthcare compliance program across affiliates in the enumerated regions, to ensure business activities comply with relevant laws, regulations, and ethical standards. The Director/Counsel will offer strategic input and perspective to the Global Compliance organization, and work closely with other colleagues within Legal and across different functions in order to ensure the adoption of global strategies and objectives relating to the company’s healthcare compliance program. The Director/ Counsel will contribute to the continued enhancement of a culture of integrity, supporting the company’s Core Values.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
The Director/Senior Counsel will be responsible for coordinating with other Global Compliance leaders to ensure the operationalization and execution of global healthcare compliance strategies relating to policies, monitoring, transparency reporting/systems, and training and communications, among others, at the affiliate level, while working closely with the International Legal, Global Therapeutic Area Legal, and affiliate Legal and Business Conduct teams.
Key responsibilities also include the following:
- Support the alignment, coordination and roll-out of healthcare compliance activities across the enumerated regions, in accordance with global healthcare compliance strategies.
- Communicate and facilitate knowledge transfer of global healthcare compliance strategies and materials.
- Synthesize and inform other Global Compliance leaders of country input and perspectives on strategic issues.
- Provide ongoing compliance execution-related support to affiliates in the enumerated regions.
- Facilitate communication of healthcare compliance needs, best practices and challenges with colleagues across the Global Compliance, International Legal, and Global Therapeutic Area Legal teams.
- Foster an energizing work environment where employees have impact on our patient-centric mission and can grow their careers. Enables robust development and succession planning within the healthcare compliance program. Inputs to talent management, strategic resourcing and succession processes.
- Align within the broader global legal organization to ensure the team partners effectively across all functions within the corporation.
- Connect other departments of Legal across the company concerning compliance-related data capture systems (e.g., International Legal, Global Therapeutic Area Legal, Data Privacy, Litigation & Investigations, Intellectual Property, Legal Operations).
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
The corporation is looking for an experienced leader from the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry with proven cultural adaptability across geographies. Ideally the successful candidate will have gained exposure to working within an organization with a US-based headquarters, as well as experience with operations in major markets worldwide. The candidate must have a strong background and exposure to compliance-related systems and transparency reporting requirements across the globe.
Detailed requirements include:
- 8+ years of relevant prior industry experience relating to drugs, devices, or food products. Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries required, including extensive professional experience advising on anti-bribery laws, industry code requirements, and other compliance mandates.
- Juris doctor or equivalent preferred but not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Able to exercise judgment and propose courses of action where precedent may not exist.
- In-depth understanding of business objectives and how those translate into healthcare compliance priorities to deliver advice and guidance to the business.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, an inquisitive mind, and the ability to work effectively in a global, matrixed organisation with multiple functions, together with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Experience with systems and structures that facilitate an efficient and effective compliance program.
- Experience, confidence, resilience and gravitas to work with senior Executives and able to establish rapport with key stakeholders and client.
- Managerial experience preferred.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility with diverse audiences and be perceived as an empowering leader yet be hands-on when necessary. Consistently retains a sense of the ‘bigger picture.’
- International and domestic travel.
Personal Competencies/ Behaviours
The ideal candidate will be solutions- and results-orientated. S/he will display personal and professional maturity and have a strong work ethic and personal integrity.
- Proven leadership skills with an ability to set a vision, inspire, champion change, and drive innovative thinking
- Collaborative, team player that leads by example
- Strong strategic thinking skills with ability to see the big picture, and to formulate and execute strategy
- Excellent influencing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to network, engage and partner with other functions, both within a country and within broader regional/Global structures, and establish positive relationships
- Strong judgment with proven ability to identify to implement solutions
- Strong organizational and project management skills and ability to execute through others
- Proven analytical skills and sound judgment
- Practical approach to problem-solving