This position will serve as the lead for Legal support team for company's commercial operation in Asia, predominantly Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Malaysia. Supporting business leaders and functional heads with contract review and legal advice on general matters, as well as support ad hoc projects or issues from legal and statutory perspectives.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE JOB:
- Provide, and oversee the provision of, general Legal advice and support to regional and local business teams, retail operations, e-commerce. This includes drafting, review and negotiation of various types of agreements as well as providing legal advices.
- Draft and review contract templates for the countries in Asia Region and maintain standardized contract review and administration.
- Provide professional advice and practical solutions to issues arising during normal business operations in retail industry including leases, marketing and general commercial matters.
- Design and implement training or direction internally on matters related to sound business practices and corporate governance.
- Establish effective business partnerships and provide Legal support with different stakeholders.
- Effectively supervise, manage and develop team members.
- Effectively supervise and instruct external service providers on a wide range of issues.
- Keep abreast of latest development of rules and regulations which are related to or affecting operations.
- Provides support to Associate General Counsel on different assignments as allocated from time to time
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CONTACTS:
Internal: Business leaders; functional heads; corporate Legal counterparts.
External: Outside counsel; vendors and other business partners.
Direct: 1-2 team members
Ability to demonstrate the Company’s core values of integrity, partnership, passion, individuality and accountability.
ACCOUNTABLITY: Effectively manage, oversee and develop a high-performing team. Meticulous planner and executor who works well on his/her own and also works well with internal customers; orchestrates multiple activities at once and arranges information in useful manner; breaks works into steps, and adjusts for changes; spends time on what’s important; eliminates roadblocks to completion. Ability to work with minimum supervision and to manage and prioritize substantial and diverse workload.
PARTNERSHIP: Understands needs of business and organization, strong commercial sense and ability to make practical evaluations of risks; dedicated to meeting expectations of internal and external customers; establishes effective relationships by nurturing respect and trust; acts with company and colleagues in mind; keeps matters confidential. Develop solution to solve complex problems, including successful navigation of challenges that may arise as multiple departments and individuals with different skill sets and interests become involved.
COMMUNICATION: Provides information effectively so others can make accurate decisions; able to write clearly and succinctly so others understand issues and options; deals comfortably with all levels within the organization; is able to effectively present facts as well as controversial topics. Able to influence people and defend recommendations throughout the company.
ENVIRONMENT: Occasional travel (~5%) on ad hoc basis.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Experience: Qualified lawyer with minimum 10 years of post-qualification experience in law firms and in-house.
Education: J.D., LL.B or its equivalent required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills. High level of accuracy in work, attentive to details
- Knowledge, experience, skills proven track record of ability to very competently lead a complex area of responsibility
- Solid experience in contracts drafting and negotiation
- Self-motived, willing to listen and learn, ability to work under tight deadlines; ability to thrive in a fast-paced and high pressure environment
- Good organizational and time management abilities with proficiency to multi-task and prioritize workload; solid decision-making skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with service and collaborative orientation
- Excellent written and oral English and Chinese, Mandarin a must.