Regional IP Director, Asia
This role will lead and support intellectual property activities across the corporation's operations in its Asia Pacific affiliates
The role will be based in Hong Kong or Singapore
The role will have broad responsibilities in the following areas:
- Assisting the corporation's affiliates in the Asia region with their IP needs
- Enforcement of intellectual property
- Assisting with anti-counterfeit investigations
- Coordinating with other members in the intellectual property group to provide support to affiliates including information relating to exclusivity; and
- Building up broad and deep knowledge of the IP environment in Asia to assist with the corporation’s IP policy goals
The role will not assist in the prosecution or acquisition of intellectual property.
The position will report to the Head of IP based in Europe
The Director will take the lead role on some matters and serve in a supporting/coordinating role on others:
Affiliate support – Will be responsible for supporting affiliates with their intellectual property requirements across the Asia region - working collaboratively with Country/Regional Counsel and outside counsel as required, including assisting with generic IP queries from and General and Regional Managers and liaising with Regulatory Affairs. The role includes assisting with queries relating to the intellectual property and regulatory exclusivity of products and lifecycle management, ensuring that any intellectual property activities necessary for marketing our products in the region are supported, ensuring the documentation to government agencies regarding intellectual property is correctly processed and filed, assisting with IP strategic planning across the region, including planning for generic entry and any litigation that results.
Litigation – Will provide support to International Intellectual Property and the Patent Litigation department in managing litigation and pre-dispute matters across Asia. Responsible for developing and assessing case strategies, assisting with interviewing fact and expert witnesses, reviewing motions and briefs, and managing external counsel. In particular, this role involves exercising tight control of litigation strategies to ensure that they match global strategies and that no submissions are made which are contrary to the Company’s global litigation strategies. This will involve close liaison with colleagues in Dublin and Foster City.
Anti-Counterfeit – Will also support anti-counterfeiting and brand security activities and investigations across Asia.
Policy – Will also provide support to the Global IP Policy team in developing understanding and deep knowledge of the IP policy environment in Asia.
Coordination - Will ensure good communication and collaboration with Global Business Conduct/anti-corruption teams to ensure efficient and effective consideration of international activities; will work in a spirit of partnership and collaboration with internal clients including Legal, Human Resources, Regulatory, Commercial, Medical Affairs, outside counsel, and specialist consultants.
Design and implement policies, procedures, workflows training and communication plans to be implemented at a local level as well as providing information updates to affiliates.
- A law degree (additional scientific qualifications will be favoured)
- Qualified to practice law in a country where there is an Asian affiliate office.
- 8+ years combined experience at top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department with experience working in a multi-national company with responsibility for Asian matters.
- Deep experience in conducting and managing international litigation.
- The position will require strong emotional intelligence and cultural awareness
- The position will require travel (regional and international)
- The position will require substantive expertise and understanding of intellectual property combined with excellent project management skills and sound judgment in managing cases and interacting with internal business clients.
- This position requires working within a team extensively, and accordingly, the ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with others is critical. Candidates must possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities.
- Flexibility to work hours that allow communication with their international offices
- High influencing and persuasion skills (proven effectiveness at senior management level).
- Functional Leadership skills – ability to lead cross-functionally by personality, competence and influence.
- The successful candidate will be given increasing responsibility. Accordingly, the Director must competently carry out and follow through on directives, learn quickly, apply legal analysis in a business context, and work independently to identify issues and goal as well as possessing strong strategic planning abilities.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical. The position requires appropriate triaging of a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results within the reasonable agreed timelines.
- The candidate must demonstrate ability to think creatively and devise solutions to challenging problems and must exercise mature and reliable judgment.
- Demonstrated client service orientation; able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluent in English and at least one other language used in a country having an affiliate office.